March 13, 2020
Dear Central Family,
In light of the evolving Coronavirus (COVID-19) situation, our leadership team has spent considerable time over this past week in discussion and prayer. Here are a few defining points we want to share with you:
1. We believe God has a unique calling for the Church in moments like this! The good news of Jesus Christ enables us to stay grounded in God’s peace (Philippians 4:6-7), not to react in fear (1 John 4:18), to utilize wisdom (James 1:5), and to be the hands and feet of Jesus to our community in a time of need (Isaiah 52:7). We are making plans—within the public health guidelines—to be an extension of care to our city during this unique season.
2. We are temporarily suspending all our church gatherings. This includes our Sunday morning service, youth, club 456, and all other gatherings at the building.
3. The church is not a building! Although we will not be gathering at 833 Pandora Ave, we will be livestreaming our Sunday service at 10:30am. To access the livestream, go to our website and click on the red “Watch Live” button at the top of the page. This Sunday’s service (March 15) will be especially designed to speak to the current situation and will include a special children’s message from Tom Drinkwater.
4. Meet with each other in different ways. At this point, social interactions are still acceptable within smaller groups provided we follow the public health guidelines. Community Groups can be a key source of strength and each CG should decide for itself if it wants to continue meeting. Let’s take extra time to connect through phone calls, text message, and—assuming proper precautions—in smaller groups.
5. We believe God is calling us to pray like never before! This Sunday we will share one new practice to help us pray. Also, join with each other in prayer over the phone, in your families, and in smaller group settings.
6. We will love our city, particularly the vulnerable. This is a time to be wise but not a time to be passive. We will share some opportunities this Sunday, but also encourage you to find ways to care for those you know within the recommendations of safe social interactions.
As this situation is rapidly changing, please check our website for updates. We would also ask that those committed to Central continue to financially support us through the coming weeks as the costs of ministry, facility, and staff are largely unaffected by this situation. You may give through the website, our Tithely app, or by dropping a cheque off at the church. If you’re feeling anxious, please reach out for prayer and if you have any questions or concerns, please let us know at [email protected]
Throughout human history, the problems of the world have become an opportunity for the Church to rise up, and this is no exception! Let us continue to pray and work that we might see our city renewed through the gospel. We love our Central family and look forward to when we can be reunited as a full family again.
The Board and Staff of Central Baptist Church
If you encounter the error message "Video Unavailable" you may have 'Restricted Mode' turned on. To access the livestream Ristricted Mode must be turned off. Instructions on how to do that can be found here: